Saturday, April 16, 2011

Multifunction Malfunction

Oh happy day, I managed to finish the day without any fires or unexpected failures!

I managed to paint the front and back bumpers and got rid of the fabled 01-03 pt cruiser bumper discoloration issue. This was done by buying a thin plastic tarp from dollar tree and taping up my car all around the bumper. I used duplicolor adhesion promotor and bumper paint from a local auto store. Basically you tape up the car super super good, spray with a decent mist of the promotor, wait like 3 minutes then put a mist of the bumper paint on it. Then wait 10 minutes and coat it better. Use one can of bumper paint on each bumper. Only half a can of adhesion promoter for each bumper.  It was very simple and anyone with a PT (or any car with a faded bumper) should do this as it was a fun project for me and my fiancee! The paint used looks and feels like a natural factory paint. Heres some shots of the car afterwards




If you look under the open door of the back bumper you can see, yup! the multifuntion switch. After installing the foglights and realizing that they stayed on constantly upon putting in a fuse the other day I put it on my schedule of things to do on this busy day. So today I pulled that out and started working on it. Took me a while to find the issue in such a mess and although I had detailed instructions from PT Cruiser Links they werent accompanied by photos so I was in the dark. In the end its fairly an easy job to do and saved me like 50 bucks on ordering a new switch. It was as easy as removing two phillips head screws on the bottom of the steering column and 4 torx screws once the cover was off. So heres a bit of my journey playing with the steering wheel!



After a few years of plastic on plastic rubing the incline becomes worn out as you can see in the photo above as the before. In the after photo you can see I had cut a peice of metal (From the fresh seal of a gerber goodstart can) and glued it to the incline to create an indestructable (I HOPE) peice. Then once I did that I made sure I greased it good like everything else in the switch already was. I put it all together and wonderfully my fog lights worked once I added the fuse that the previous owner had removed to get the foglights to turn off. They now turn on and off. I of course ran into an issue where I couldnt use my turn signals so I had to take it all apart again and fix that but all in all minus time spent staring at the box it only took me about an hour to repair.



In less noteworth accomplishments today I..
finished installing all but one really difficult headlight bulb (Drivers side High Beam)
got a second key fob in the mail and programed it to my car.

I think things can only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Keep All Comments PG, Also Try Not To Make Fun Of Dill's Inability To Learn About Cars.